Summer Medical and Dental Education Program (SMDEP)
Established by the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation (RWJF), SMDEP is a free six-week residential program for first and second year college students interested in medicine and dentistry. This program follows the former MMEP and SMEP programs.
Hosted at 12 institutions across the nation, the program aims to assist students who represent economic, geographic, cultural, racial, and ethnic diversity in their pursuit of gaining admission to both medical and dental school.
As health care disparities continue to persist, SMDEP is committed to developing a diverse medical and dental workforce as they will be well-suited to address such gaps.
To be eligible students must:
- Be a Freshman or Sophomore college student OR a community college student
- Be from an economically disadvantaged background; a racial or ethnic group that has been historically underrepresented in medicine and dentistry; or a part of the country where residents have been historically underrepresented in medicine and dentistry
- Be a US citizen or have Permanent Residency Status
- Have an overall 2.5 GPA
In order to apply to the SMDEP program at Columbia University, go to www.smdep.org. Make sure to choose Columbia University as one of the sites when prompted.
All applications go through the national website and are then funneled to individual sites. If you have questions about the application, contact the SMDEP National site directly. If you have questions about the SMDEP program at Columbia University, contact the SMDEP Program Coordinator at email@example.com.
Program dates for Summer 2013: Friday, June 14 - Saturday, July 27
If you have any questions or concerns, feel free to contact the SMDEP staff at Columbia University:
College of Physicians and Surgeons
Office of Diversity
630 West 168th Street, Suite 3-401
New York, NY 10032
- Student Life
- Academic & Career Planning
- Research & Global Health
- Honor Code & Policies
- Resources & Support
- Student Activities: P&S Club
- Student Affairs
- Ceremonies & Events
- Office of Diversity
- About Us
- The Black and Latino Student Organization (BALSO)
- Recruitment Schedule
- High School Students
- College/Post-Baccalaureate Students & Recent Graduates
- Multicultural Recruitment Day Conference (MRDC)
- LGBT Resources
- Additional Resources & Support
- Contact Office of Diversity
- Recreation & Athletic Facilities
- Meal Plan
- Class Websites
- Student Directory
- Student Life Calendar