Scholarly Projects Program
The Scholarly Projects Program (SPP) links medical students with faculty mentors to explore an area of medical practice or research with the aim of creating new knowledge. We encourage students to select a project that allows for immersion with the hope that this experience will consolidate the learning developed through Fundamentals and the Major Clinical Year into an individual professional passion.
Students have four to ten months of protected time during Differentiation & Integration to finish a scholarly project, which may be completed in continuous or divided blocks. All students are required to complete a scholarly project, though students who complete a second academic degree during medical school may elect to apply their dual-degree experience in fulfillment of the scholarly project requirement.
Students wishing to complete projects longer than six months enroll in the "Scholarly Projects Plus" program and need to meet with the Senior Associate Dean for Student Affairs and the Associate Dean for Curricular Affairs to develop an Individualized Learning Plan (ILP) as part of their project review process.
The SPP aims to develop students’ abilities in the following School-Wide Learning Objectives: (i) generate hypotheses, exhibit curiosity, and develop a pattern of life-long learning and (ii) participate in the process through which new knowledge is generated, and assess the importance of novel ideas.
Specifically, students completing the SPP will have the opportunity to ask innovative questions, deepen their experience of medicine, and contribute to the academic environment.
Our Scholarly Opportunities Database provides project, mentor, and funding resources to help guide students in the planning of their Scholarly Project.
For More Information
- View a complete description of the Scholarly Projects Program.
- Inaugural Scholarly Projects (from Columbia Medicine Magazine)
- Scholarly Projects Plus (from Columbia Medicine Magazine)
- School-Wide Values
- Medical School Curriculum
- Major Clinical Year (MCY)
- Differentiation & Integration (D&I)
- Curricular Threads
- Scholarly Projects Program
- Daniel Noyes Brown Scholars Program
- Academic Calendar
- Visiting Students
- Other Programs
- Learning Environment
- Student Life
- Student Activities: P&S Club
- Student Affairs
- Ceremonies & Events
- Office of Diversity and Multicultural Affairs
- About Us
- The Black and Latino Student Organization (BALSO)
- ODMA Events
- Middle & High School Students
- College/Post-Baccalaureate Students & Recent Graduates
- Multicultural Recruitment Day Conference (MRDC)
- LGBT Resources
- Additional Resources & Support
- Contact Us
- Recreation & Athletic Facilities
- Meal Plan
- Student Life Calendar
- Academic Planning
- Dual Degree & Special Programs
- Columbia University Cross Registration
- Planning a Medical Career
- Advising & Academic Support
- Student Research
- Honor Code & Policies
- Resources & Support
- Advising & Academic Support
- Health & Wellness
- Student Financial Planning
- Health Sciences Library
- CUMC IT
- Campus Resources
- Quick Links
- Inside P&S
- Contact Medical Education
- Global Health Programs